Mia's Research Blog

Hi, I'm Mia 

I like art, science and photography additionally I enjoy spending time in nature.

Environment

Three things that I have learned this year in school that I have found interesting.

1.photography- art 

In art we have been learning about different elements to take into account or include while taking a photo for example; Light, Shadow, Leading Lines, Shape, Form and Texture. I have found this especially interesting and refreshing because I've been able to go outside and just spend time looking closely at nature and taking pictures. While taking those photos I have been able to focus on the specific thing I've been told to include which was good until I preceded to notice I had taken photos which fit really well into more than one category.

Some of the photos that I took I would then upload onto a power point and send into the teacher- this is the power point: Photos for Art

2.cloning-science

A while ago in science we were learning about different types of cloning like animal cloning and food/plant cloning. I found this interesting because being able to genetically modify food and plants is obviously a big step in modern science but what many people don't realize is that most of the food your already eating has been interrupted with and isn't completely natural. I think that cloning and genetically modifying food and plants is okay until it goes too far, having genetically modified food is useful in being able to feed lots of people food that's healthy, got good nutrients and tastes nice but I would never want all people to only eat such foods, I think that normalizing eating completely natural food would stop things from becoming a bit too futuristic. 

On the other hand I think that changing normal plants is completely wrong, humans have already had a far too big impact on the world and changing the way plants grow is most defiantly not the way to go, something that I and a few other people around my area have noticed is that around Blackford hill there has been a foreign plant that has been taking over all the other plants in the surrounding area. someone must have planted a plant from a different country there and (before the big snow falls) the plant was rapidly spreading through out the hill and killing all other pants in the process. I think that moving around plants that don't originate from the country and then just planting them in a public place is a reckless thing to do because you don't know the affect that it will wave on the public ones in the local area. After quite a bit of research I couldn't find the name of this weed but I found it to be a mix of  knotweed and pokeweed. 

3.Typhoon Haiyan-geography

During geography lessons we have learnt about the disaster and aftermath of  Typhoon Haiyan, we were able to look at the impacts on the environment like trees and fields being destroyed, land being trashed with rubbish in the place of where crops would have been growing. I believe that natural disasters and such things have an enormous impact on the environment even if we don't experience incidents like that here too often I think that everyone should be well educated about them. if I was moving to another country or even just going on holiday there I think its best to be aware and learn about them and what causes them.

I was interested to sign up to the Oulu project because I'm interested in photography and art, this project would give me more opportunities to grow in those subjects. 

My connection/relationship with nature and the environment

I enjoy going for walks through forests and up mountains and ever since lockdown started back in 2020 I've been able to do a lot more of just walking with my friends or on my own taking photos or just finding new ways to walk the same hill however I'm becoming more and more grateful for having  these hills and parks near me because I know that lots of people aren't as lucky as I am and don't have a wonderful(a bit muddy at times) space to just chill.

The Environment in Scotland

Although the environment in Scotland in general is really quite good it is becoming harder and increasingly difficult to maintain though lots of people(primarily young) are doing everything they can to keep Scotland environmentally friendly however there are still lots of coal farms and other huge business' that are still not evolving to help the environment.


Comments

  1. I'm hoping you will all get outside to use those different aspects of photography you've been learning in school for artistic and documentation purposes.

    I like spending time outside and find the outdoors really good for me. Absolutly grateful for the landscapes we have here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment